Friday, July 2, 2010

Day 16, Thursday, July 1, 2010
Wow! Sometimes you shouldn’t do things just because you want to. Most people reading this will know that I’m pretty impulsive. This time though , I might have been a little bit too much so. I got up this morning and decided I wanted to go deep sea fishing. I was doing pretty good, too, until I got on the boat. It smelled awfully “fishy” and I didn’t like that very well. Shortly after we got under way, I realized that we weren’t going “deep sea fishing, ” just “sea fishing”. No big impressive marlin for me today. Going out to sea wasn’t too bad but about 1 hour into a 5 hour charter, I began to feel pretty seasick. I fought it for a while and managed to catch 2 snapper or rockfish as they call them here.
As if things weren’t bad enough, it was 57 degrees and in spite of the fact that I was wearing a shirt, a sweatshirt and a jacket, I was freezing. All that being said, I have very little desire to go sea fishing again and probably won’t like seafood quite as well either.

When I got back at noon, Floyce & I were going to the ocean aquarium
(What! More ocean stuff?) The aquarium was pretty interesting and we were able to find a few souvenirs.



Driving down highway 101 we saw some breathtaking views of he Pacific Ocean. As I am writing this, we have stopped for bread pudding & tea at “The Diner”, a little restaurant in Seal Rock, OR. Going on south,

the coast becomes pretty rugged with large rock formations as much as maybe a mile out in the ocean.

Because of this, there are lighthouses up and down the shore.


We drove on down the coast and stopped at the Port Hole restaurant in Gold Beach for supper and guess what I had…Rockfish. They did have a neat drink and called it “half & half” it was iced tea and cranberry juice. It was pretty good too. We drove a little farther and eventually stopped at Brookings and spent the night. We are about 25 miles from the California border.

No comments:

Post a Comment